Our director, Stephen M. Smith, Esq., is an internationally recognized expert in traumatic brain injury litigation with over 38 years experience.
Mr. Smith has won the largest mild traumatic brain injury verdict ever awarded in the world.
Stephen M. Smith, founder of the Brain Injury Law Center, has been litigating traumatic brain injury cases for more than 38 years, while also handling other serious and catastrophic injuries throughout the United States and the world. He won the largest personal injury verdict in Virginia history and the largest mild traumatic brain injury verdict ever awarded in the world. He obtained the largest mild traumatic brain injury settlements in South Carolina history. He has the largest number of the largest verdicts and settlements in Virginia history. He has regularly and consistently obtained numerous multi-million-dollar settlements and verdicts nationwide for traumatic brain injury survivors and survivors of other catastrophic injuries.
While Mr. Smith resides in Virginia, he has proudly represented thousands of traumatic brain injury survivors and their families throughout the United States, and welcomes a direct phone call at 757-650-9818 if you have questions concerning the legal rights of you or a loved one who has suffered head trauma.
Frequently sought after as both a speaker and as co-counsel, Mr. Smith is:
- Included in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in America, and has consistently been featured in previous editions.
- Rated by his peers as “A/V Preeminent” by Martindale-Hubbell, the highest rating available for legal ability and ethics.
- Past Chairman of the American Association of Justice -Traumatic Brain Injury Litigation Group.
- The only attorney from Virginia to ever be awarded a Diplomate status by the American Board of Trial Advocates and is a member of their National Board.
- Past President of the Brain Injury Association of Virginia, a national board member of Public Justice, a national board member of the Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America, as well as their national Secretary and a national board member of the Belli Society.
- President of the National Brain Injury Trial Lawyers Association.
- Licensed to practice in Virginia, New York and the District of Columbia.
- Is a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum and is listed in Who’s Who in American Law.